Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Great Black and White Photographers Pt. 3

Minor White

1. What first caught my eye when looking at his photography was the scenery. The simplicity of the photos is very plain but he does it so well. I think what made me choose them was the fact that I love photography with scenery and simplicity. Only few can impress me with such strategy and Minor White is one of them.

 I see the repetition of the trees and the continuous line the road makes. The shadows of the trees that reflect onto the road make it look really nice. Also the color of the trees, grass, and clouds look the same which makes the other colors really pop out. For example the road, mountains, sky, and the tree bark. 
I smell fresh cut grass or the smell of the outdoors. I can smell the pavement that heats up against the sun. The smell of fresh wind that the clouds create on this day.
I hear the wind blowing against the trees. The sound of nothingness as I stand out here in the middle of nowhere. I hear my thoughts perfectly in this tranquil scenery of nature.
I taste the cool wind and the moist air on this sunny day. I can sort of taste the fresh cut grass in the air.
I feel peace and calm in this area. Very quiet; makes me feel secure and away from everything else in the world. I feel as if nature is staring right back at me as I stare into it. I feel sleepy as if I can just lay here and sleep away the days.


 I see holes in the wall as if created by shots of a gun. The kid running away with what seems like a piece of cloth in his hand. The blurriness of the moving kid shows that he is running away for some reason. 
I smell wet cement in this old warehouse. The sweat on my neck on this hot sunny day.
I hear the footsteps of the kid as he paces away further up the street. I can hear the cloth flapping in the wind as it follows the running child. I can hear the creaking of the old warehouse as it has aged over the years.
I taste the warm air and the heat of the sun. I can taste the dirt of the floor as the kid ran by kicking up particles of the dirt.
I feel almost in danger. Why is the kid running? Is there someone chasing him? Or is he simply running home?


3. I feel the best way of showing this photographer to others is by a simple power point. The simplicity of this will show the main idea. For example, like the photographer Nick Brandt. His work was shown in a power point with nothing but his work and the main idea really stuck with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment